Who would not want to have wooden fences for their home? Not only are they beautiful, elegant and stylish, but they also prevent trespassers from sneaking into your property. But, with all the rigors of nature, these wooden fences or colonial fencing get attacked by enemies such termites, carpenter bees and carpenter ants.
Wooden structures are the personal stomping grounds for these types of insects. This is why homeowners need to take proper measures to protect their wooden fencing from getting damaged. To learn how to get rid of them, here are a few reminders from Amazing Fencing, one of the most reputable fencing companies in Australia:
- Make sure the wood is not exposed to moisture or weather for long. This serves as the safest nesting place for carpenter bees.
- They are similar to bumblebees.
- They can be easily distinguished through their features. They have black abdomen with greenish-purple sheen.
- Carpenter bees damage the wood by boring several holes to lay their eggs. The wood begins to weaken due to these dime-sized holes.
- To protect the wood against such holes, you can easily seal them with the help of a liquid sealant.
- Pesticides can also be used to steer clear these bees.
- Do not forget to cover the entrance with steel wool.
- Several types of termites like dry wood, damp wood and subterranean can harm the wood fence. One of the best ways to prevent termite infestation is to use liquid termite treatment.
- You can also use termite baits and work by spreading less amount of pesticides.
- Apply the borate termite treatment like a coat of paint on the wood
- Dry wood termites can be prevented by using the method of fumigation.
- Carpenter ants are predominantly seen on trees and wood that have moisture content – rotting trees, roots, logs, and stumps to name a few.
- Store firewood in the garage and allow considerable amount of air to circulate.
- Any wood or tree that shows signs of moisture should be removed.
By following these simple pointers, you will have insect-free wood fences that would last a long time.